Friday, August 12, 2011

Sewing My Brains Out

This last Sunday I spent the whole day watching Mad Men and sewing. Because I got sucked into a show I wanted to keep watching, which meant I had to keep sewing. I ended making/finishing Violet's tent. Above is a little sneak peak of what it will look like. I will make a tutorial, don't you worry your pretty little heads. It will also help if you go out and buy the book. That is also a nice segue into my next project: The hooded cape.

This is Izzy's very special friend. It was his birthday on Monday and I decided to make him the cape he's been asking for every play date. I made it with a black satin type material and a cotton bias tape. The hood is lined with the same cotton as the bias tape. The pattern is from Growing Up Sew Liberated.
Now he can be a magician or a Harry Potter wanna-be.

I also decided to finish the quilt I started for him. The kid loves band aids so I found some sock monkey fabric at M&L for $2.99 a yard. I still see it in quilt shops for $9.99 a yard. I bought it with big J in mind and also to have some boy fabric in the house.
I used a simple four patch pattern that is one of my favs and also he wanted one just like Izzy. For the back I used the polka dot flannel that is on the four patch on the top. A while ago I made him a stuffed elephant with the polka dot flannel so his other toy will match his "nite-nite".
It took a couple hours to make and another hour to quilt and bind. I didn't hand bind it rather I machine sewn the binding on. It was faster and it will be more durable for a 5 year old boy.


I also made some pointy kittys. I will show another pic with all the heads attached and the hair and details stitched on. This is a fun pattern and might make it on one of our monthly projects.
My next post will be showing that I am a teacher's pet and finished my inch worm project. A quick shout out to Tammy for her adorable pillow! Now you have to show off the quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment